Health, Cholesterol, and a new topic... longevity

/ Monday, February 19, 2007 /
When I was kid I always wanted to live to 100. I think the spark of interest was lit by an old lady in our church. I was very young, maybe 3 or so and there was this old lady in our church named Penny. she was 99 when she died but while she was still alive she fascinated me and I became convinced I was going to live old like her, even older than her! Twenty-some-odd years later nothing's really changed much. I'm still convinced that I'm going to live a long time but I've never really consciously attempted to live extra healthily in attempts to make sure I live long. Recently however the taught has been cropping up from time to time about what I can do to ensure a long lifespan and I'm beginning to think about doing what I can.

I've read in the past 2 months from about four different sources that oral hygiene is significant for lifelong health and not just that of your teeth and gums. Apparently the cleaner your teeth and gums are the smaller the chances of heart diseases and such. Anyway, I note this in particular without specifics because I've been in a dentist visiting period as of late as I have a couple cavities that I'm getting filled. Needless to say I've been much more diligent in my brushing, flossing and hope that I can remain as diligent in the future.

All of this is to say that I think I'm going to continue being interested in the concept of longevity or increasing ones lifespan and I will probably chronicle some of the various things that I find here in this blog.

Not to long ago I was looking for lists of medical things to be done to 20-something guys and found some decent stuff but since then I haven't seen the doctor so I will soon be making an appointment for a general checkup. According to the list I should be doing dental exams, which I'm currently doing, and should know my blood pressure, which is currently a healthy 120 over 80 but I should also know my cholesterol levels so maybe I'll ask my doctor to test those for me on my first visit just to know where I stand. According to consensus I should have over 60mg/dL HDL, low would be less than 40mg/dL; less than 100mg/dL LDL, high would be 160-190mg/dL; for a total of less than 200mg/dL cholesterol. Lastly Triglycerides should be less than 150mg/dL while high levels would be higher than 200mg/dL.

I guess once I get to the doctor I'll see where I stand. After all I probably won't live past 100 years of age if I don't make sure I'm safe when it comes to my cholesterol levels.


Share this page on:
 
Copyright © 2013 Brian C Mounts, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger